Thursday 10 September 2009

Nursing a headache

So here I am again. Its been a long day. At a conference all day, lecture after lecture. It was actually pretty interesting for once but I am feeling wrecked and nursing a headache. It might be all the early mornings this week. Some people hate shift work, but I have to say I am quite fond of it. A mix of mornings and afternoons leaves me with a fair bit of flexibility to fit life in. Too many mornings in a row take their toll though.

I am more of an evening person. One of the women at work is convinced that its all to do with the time you were born. My sister was born early in the morning and to this day she bounces out of bed quite happily. I on the other hand was born after dinner and that is still when I am at my best. I don't know if there is any real truth to the theory but it works for us. I should go to bed early but don't feel like it just yet.

Pilot P is away at the moment. He called me this afternoon, it was good to talk. I don't know how people lived this lifestyle when the cost of phone calls was prohibitive and email was non-existent. My parents lived overseas for a while when they were younger and said they only called home once in the whole time and kept in touch by letters, for Christmas they sent a cassette with a spoken message home - can you imagine? P is due home in a few days, it's been a long trip so I think he will be very happy to get back. With the Internet and associated technologies he is never really out of touch, but it is not the same as being together. The frequent absences keep things fresh though. It means we are always looking forward to seeing each other and we try not to get caught up in the silly little things.

Anyway, bed time......

1 comment: